The Peterborough Police Service is urging residents to double and triple check to ensure car doors are locked and all valuables are out of sight following several vehicle break-ins.
On November 23, 2017 during the late evening hours numerous vehicles on Coyle Crescent in Lakefield were entered and property stolen.
On the evening of November 25, 2017 four vehicles parked in the lot at the Peterborough Curling Club, located on Lansdowne Street West, had a window smashed and items stolen from inside, including purses, cash and jackets.
Sometime between 10 p.m. on November 28, 2017 and 11 a.m. on November 29, 2017 an unlocked vehicle parked in a Katherine Street driveway in Lakefield was entered and an amount of loose change was stolen.
We remind residents of the following tips (please see poster attached):
- Ensure your vehicle doors are locked and secured and your keys are in your pocket
- Do not leave any valuables or shopping bags in your vehicle. Take all valuables with you or make sure those items are hidden in the vehicle and out of plain sight.
- Always park in well-lit areas
- Never leave money or loose change in plain sight
- Always roll-up your car windows
- Ensure your GPS is hidden and out-of-sight
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate and proof of insurance on you
- Take electronics, including your cell phone, with you
- Don’t leave your car running unattended
- If parking in the same parking lot often, be sure to park in a different spot each day
Be aware of who is in your neighbourhood and report any suspicious persons to police
Anyone with information regarding these incidents is asked to call the Peterborough Police Service at 705-876-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or Crime Stoppers